Founded in 2017 as the Wellborn Hub, the Upper Valley Teaching Place Collaborative (UVTPC) is a network of education professional development providers and practitioners who work together to advance high-quality place-based and ecological education (PBEE) in all Upper Valley Schools.
We envision an Upper Valley where all students are deeply engaged in education that fosters ecological understanding and connection to place.
We are working with professional development providers, educators, administrators, and schools across the region to connect them to the support they need in order to advance PBEE.
The UVTPC is funded by the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation’s Wellborn Ecology Fund. Since its inception in 2001, the Wellborn Ecology Fund has awarded grants totaling more than $5.5 million to more than 125 organizations and programs in the Upper Valley.
Learn about our goals for the next three years in our 2020-2023 Strategic Plan.
What the UVTPC has to offer you:
- A dynamic local network of passionate peers who can support you in your PBEE work
- Monthly newsletters with stories of local PBEE practitioners, events, training opportunities, and grant listings.
- On-site presentations to educate staff on PBEE professional development opportunities in the Upper Valley
- Individualized consultations to help you determine and connect to the PBEE resources that are right for you
- An annual conference bringing together practitioners from around the region to share and learn about best practices in PBEE
- This website designed to provide you easy access to PBEE resources and networking opportunities.
Who We Are
The UVTPC is a diverse and committed network. We are led by a Steering Committee of the following individuals:
- Scott Ellis- Thetford Outdoor Program
- Traci Fowler- New Hampshire Charitable Foundation
- Hannah Gelroth- Vermont Institute of Natural Science
- Joan Haley- Shelburne Farms / Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park
- Lisa Purcell- Four Winds Nature Institute
- Kat Robbins- Marsh Billings National Historic Park & Woodstock School District
- Beth Roy- Vital Communities’ Upper Valley Farm to School program
- Page Tompkins- Upper Valley Educator’s Institute
We have Working Groups that lead our work:
- Research & Evaluation- Reviewing and interpreting relevant research and evaluations to inform our collective work supporting place-based ecology education. For more information or to join this working group, contact Page Tompkins (email@example.com)
- Peer-to-Peer Connections- Seeking to make meaningful connections between our current and aspiring place-based educators in the Upper Valley in order to keep us all supported and inspired. For more information or to join this working group, contact Kat Robbins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Outreach & Gatherings- Building community and sharing stories with the goal of enhancing the Place-Based Ecology Education offered in the Upper Valley. For more information or to join this working group, contact Scott Ellis (email@example.com)